kill switch is permanently disabld on dell Inspiron 6400

Christopher Brown snecklifter at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 12:42:20 UTC 2007

On 03/10/2007, Fulko.Hew at sita.aero <Fulko.Hew at sita.aero> wrote:

> fedora-test-list-bounces at redhat.com wrote on 10/02/2007 09:41:39 PM:
>

> > On Tue, 2007-10-02 at 21:07 -0400, Fulko Hew wrote:
> > > I just decided to try updating my Fedora 8 Test 1
> > > to the latest Rawhide and I'm seeing a few issues.
> > >
> > > The primry one is that the Inetl 3945 has stopped working.
> > >
> > > It seems as thought the RF kill switch is permanently on.
> > >
> > > I've searched the web and there were 3 posted suggestions,
> > > none of which worked for me...
> > >
> > > a) echo 0 > /sys/class/net/wlan0/device/rf_kill
> > >
> > > b) echo 0 >
> > > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/iwl3945/module/drivers/pci\:iwl3945/0000\:/0\:
> > 00.0/rf_kill
> > >
> > > c) within the BIOS, disable the hot keys for RF/Bluetooth
> > >

> > > No matter what I've tried, knetworkmanager shows no wireless nodes,
> > >
> > > With Test 1, everything _was_ working.
> > >
> > > Suggestions anyone?
> >
> > I'm on an Inspiron 9300 with a intel2915 chipset, so this may or may not
> > help.
> >
> > There's been some malarky with Network manager (moving from 0.6.5 to
> > 0.7.x) recently and while some of it has been resolved, issues still
> > seem to be there for 3945 users (from reading issues on this list) and
> > some other chipsets.
> >
> > Also, I find that sometimes I need to go into the bios and reenable the
> > wireless device and that simply hitting Fn>F2 doesn't toggle the
> > settings.
>
> Thanks for the update.  hopefully it gets resolved soon.
>
> In my case, Fn-F2 doesn't do anything anymore in Rawhide except
> complain about unknown keycodes, so even if it was off by default
> now (despite what the /sys/class.../rf_kill option says), there
> is no way to turn it back on.

Out of interest, do you have one of these?

/usr/share/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop/10-dell-rfkill-switch.fdi

This document is strictly confidential and intended only for use by the
> addressee unless otherwise stated.  If you are not the intended recipient,
> please notify the sender immediately and delete it from your system.

This kind of signature is completely inappropriate and downright ridiculous
for a public mailing list. Please don't use it.

Cheers
Chris

--
http://www.chruz.com