Fwd: Grub installation on USB disk

antonio montagnani antonio.montagnani at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 09:10:22 UTC 2007

2007/10/3, Doncho N. Gunchev <gunchev at gmail.com>:
> On Wednesday 2007-10-03 13:15:23 antonio montagnani wrote:
> > When I try to install Grub by Webmin on my USB disk in order to boot
> > directly from my USB disk I get:
> >

> > Installing GRUB on SCSI device A partition 1 with commands root
> > (hd0,0) and setup (hd0,0) ..
> >

> >     GNU GRUB  version 0.97  (640K lower / 3072K upper memory)
> >
> >  [ Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported.  For the first word, TAB
> >    lists possible command completions.  Anywhere else TAB lists the possible
> >    completions of a device/filename.]
> > grub> root (hd0,0)
> >  Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
> > grub> setup (hd0,0)
> >  Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... no
> >  Checking if "/grub/stage1" exists... yes
> >  Checking if "/grub/stage2" exists... yes
> >  Checking if "/grub/e2fs_stage1_5" exists... yes
> >  Running "embed /grub/e2fs_stage1_5 (hd0,0)"... failed (this is not fatal)
> >  Running "embed /grub/e2fs_stage1_5 (hd0,0)"... failed (this is not fatal)
> >  Running "install /grub/stage1 (hd0,0) /grub/stage2 p /grub/grub.conf
> > "... succeeded
> > Done.
> > grub>
> >
> > .. install failed!
> >
> > What does it mean???
> >
> You installed grub on (hd0,0) (/dev/sda1), which is your /boot or / partition
> I guess. You should install grub to /dev/sda or (hd0) in grub terms.
>
> --
> Regards,
>   Doncho N. Gunchev, GPG key ID: 0EF40B9E, Key server: pgp.mit.edu
>
> --

Docho,

it did the trick!!!

Tnx a lot, now I can boot safely from the external USB (Fedora) when
connected, otherwise Vista will boot off.

I think that if I connect same USB disk to another laptop, it should
boot off provided that the boot order is USB port before Hard disk in
the Bios with minor adjustments in case of different peripherals, in
particular Ethernet card and wireless card

Tnx again

--
Antonio Montagnani
Skype : antoniomontag