update killed X

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Thu Oct 4 16:47:20 UTC 2007

On Thu, Oct 04, 2007 at 06:15:55PM +0200, antonio montagnani wrote:

> I am exactly in the same situation with Intel graphics and also GDM
> cannot start.
>
> 1) how do I recover??

I do not have Intel graphics.  I have Radeon and the only cure
for a messed up X was to downgrade xserver to 1.3.0.0-24.fc8.
AFAICT 1.3.0.0-28.fc8 is as broken as 1.3.0.0-27.fc8.

So the first question is: can you get X server running from
a command line with 'startx' after you booted to level 3 instead
of a default 5?  If the answer is "yes" then you can start worry
about gdm as there is no point otherwise.

As I wrote yesterday - to get gdm going I had to add
'AddGtkModules=false' in /etc/gdm/custom.conf.  Otherwise I
was getting a "busy" cursor on a dark blue background and
nothing else was happening.

> 2) shall I have the same problem with 7.92, that I am downloading???

I do not know really but quite likely yes.

   Michal