selinux alerts consoletype (consoletype_t) "read" to pipe

Daniel J Walsh dwalsh at redhat.com
Mon Oct 8 12:10:13 UTC 2007

Antonio Olivares wrote:
> (unconfined_t).
> To: fedora-test-list at redhat.com
> Cc: fedora-selinux-list at redhat.com
>
> Dear all,
>
> I am getting new alerts on the laptop, on the other
> computers the following alerts do not appear.  I did
> not have the setroubleshooter working on the laptop,
> but all of a sudden because of the updates, it and the
> system updater started working.
>
> Should I dismiss these as not important?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Antonio
>
> Summary
>     SELinux is preventing consoletype (consoletype_t)
> "read" to pipe
>     (unconfined_t).
>
> Detailed Description
>     SELinux denied access requested by consoletype. It
> is not expected that this
>     access is required by consoletype and this access
> may signal an intrusion
>     attempt. It is also possible that the specific
> version or configuration of
>     the application is causing it to require
> additional access.
>
> Allowing Access
>     You can generate a local policy module to allow
> this access - see
>
> http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/selinux-faq-fc5/#id2961385
> Or you can disable
>     SELinux protection altogether. Disabling SELinux
> protection is not
>     recommended. Please file a
> http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/enter_bug.cgi
>     against this package.
>
> Additional Information
>
> Source Context
> system_u:system_r:consoletype_t
> Target Context
> system_u:system_r:unconfined_t
> Target Objects                pipe [ fifo_file ]
> Affected RPM Packages
> Policy RPM
> selinux-policy-3.0.8-17.fc8
> Selinux Enabled               True
> Policy Type                   targeted
> MLS Enabled                   True
> Enforcing Mode                Enforcing
> Plugin Name                   plugins.catchall
> Host Name                     localhost.localdomain
> Platform                      Linux
> localhost.localdomain
>
> 2.6.23-0.217.rc9.git1.fc8 #1 SMP Tue Oct 2
>                               21:38:47 EDT 2007 i686
> i686
> Alert Count                   17
> First Seen                    Wed 26 Sep 2007 06:34:54
> PM CDT
> Last Seen                     Sun 07 Oct 2007 08:56:57
> AM CDT
> Local ID
> 8b0eaa38-b9e4-4472-9cd0-ddd5b686793e
> Line Numbers
>
> Raw Audit Messages
>
> avc: denied { read } for comm=consoletype dev=pipefs
> path=pipe:[12036] pid=3102
> scontext=system_u:system_r:consoletype_t:s0
> tclass=fifo_file
> tcontext=system_u:system_r:unconfined_t:s0
>
> Summary
>     SELinux is preventing consoletype (consoletype_t)
> [...]

Yes this is not important.  This was caused by a redirection of
STDIN/STDERR/STDOUT to a fifo file and some script probably rpm causing
a transition to consoletype, and consoletype not being allowed to talk
to the terminal.  the kernel would just close the open file descriptor
and consoletype would work properly.