F8T3 fails to detect my existing F7 install

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Mon Oct 8 17:58:40 UTC 2007

On Mon, Oct 08, 2007 at 12:59:05PM +0100, Keith Roberts wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Oct 2007, Neal Becker wrote:
> >In fact, I don't see any way to install F8T3 and
> >still be able to boot F7.

There are some ways.

> My workaround is to mount the FC6 root partition, that
> contains the /boot/grub directory. (It's not a seperate boot
> partition)
>
> Then copy and paste the entries from the FC6
> /boot/grub.grub.conf file, to the new F8t3
> /boot/grub/grub.conf file.

Or you can do that the other way around.

A saner way is to get a "top level" grub menu referenced by
grub installed on MBR.  That menu has only entries which
chainload "second level" bootloaders (regardless if those
happen to be grub or something else).  For any distro you
install a corresponding grub, and its menu, on a suitable
partition.  Now if you are updating kernels then changes
for every distro are totally independent.

There is one danger here.  If you will suspend/hibernate,
boot something else and access a file system which belongs
to what you just suspendend, then after waking up the first
distro you may suffer from a severe file system damage.
Just do not do that.

   Michal