F8T3 Login very slow

antonio montagnani antonio.montagnani at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 07:13:29 UTC 2007

2007/10/10, Mike Chambers <mike at miketc.com>:
> On Wed, 2007-10-10 at 22:12 +0200, antonio montagnani wrote:
> > When I log in, I find that after latest updates (my system is fully
> > updated) login is very slow (I mean the time after I wrote password
> > and when I get the the workin screen with all icon).
> > And maybe that is somehow shorter if Ethernet cable is connected (but
> > maybe only an impression)
> > If I compare F7 and F8T3 it is like with a formula one instead of a compact car.
> > Any comment???
>
> What do you mean by slow, as in how long?  My desktop machine, PIV w/1G
> Ram, takes about 10-13 seconds.  This though, after already being logged
> in, and just logging out then putting in username and password.  Not
> sure after a fresh reboot.
>
> --
> Mike Chambers
> Madisonville, KY
>
> "Best lil town on Earth!"
>
> --

I clocked the timing: it took about 20 seconds from password to login,
but it took more than two minutes to have a working login (I mean, all
icons, menus, and so on).
Much shorter if Ethernet network is connected.

This is the list of services at boot time:

ConsoleKit
anacron
atd
auditd
autofs
avahi-daemon
bluetooth
cpuspeed
crond
cups
firstboot
haldaemon
ip6tables
iptables
irqbalance
isdn
kudzu
mdmonitor
messagebus
microcode_ctl
nasd (what is it for??)
netfs
network
nfslock
pcscd
readhead_early
readhead_later
restorecond
rpcbind
rpcgssd
rpcidmapd
ryslog
setroubleshoot
smb
sshd
xinetd

Apart from sendmail, that I don't need, I didn't change any setting
from installation.

Any idea???

--
Antonio Montagnani