Master configuration file for services?

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Thu Oct 11 16:54:29 UTC 2007

On Thu, Oct 11, 2007 at 04:20:30PM +0100, Keith Roberts wrote:
> Would it be possible to have one master configuration file
> that is read on boot time to determine which system services
> are run please?

You mean that you want something like system-config-services?
Did you try that one?

> I'm having to spend ages on disabling services with
> chkconfig <sname> off.

If you are doing that from a command line then check something
of that sort

echo "service1
service2
service3" | xargs -n1 -i chkconfig {} off

or you may feed xargs redirecting stdin from a file with names
one per line.

The later you can modify using a file with lines like
"serviceA on" and "serviceB off" and use that with
"xargs -n2 -i chkconfig {}" to have your master configuration.

   Michal