F8t3 - Minimal services to run?

Keith Roberts keith at karsites.net
Sat Oct 13 18:39:00 UTC 2007

What are the minimal system services I need for a 'working'
system please?

I have disabled all services, apart from my own firewall
script to populate iptables, and network.

This system allows me to ping www.grc.com from the command
line. I can also start X and KDE, and Konqueror is able to
reach remote sites on the net, so no problems in the
networking dept.

>From hitting return in the GRUB menu to a login prompt, it
takes 45 seconds to boot. The memory footprint, according to
#free -m -s5 is:

        total        used   free   shared   buffers   cached
Mem:     489          67    422        0         3       24
-/+ buffers/cache     39    450
Swap: 1066             0   1066

Are there any other services that I need for a basic system
please, such as logging?

I thought I'd try booting a very minimal system, then add
services as needed, rather than working from the other
perspective of disabling services I might not need.

Kind Regards

Keith Roberts

http://www.karsites.net
http://www.raised-from-the-dead.org.uk

This email address is challenge-response protected with
http://www.tmda.net