audio problem with f8t3

Will Woods wwoods at redhat.com
Mon Oct 15 19:18:19 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-10-14 at 19:26 -0700, David L wrote:
> Every once in a while I try to place a call in skype in f8t3 and I get
> this error:
>
> Call Failed: Problem with Audio Playback
>
> lsof tells me this:
>
> /usr/sbin/lsof /dev/snd/*
> COMMAND  PID USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE SIZE NODE NAME
> exe     2643  dl  mem    CHR  116,4      2764 /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p
> exe     2643  dl   15u   CHR  116,9      2732 /dev/snd/controlC1
> exe     2643  dl   21u   CHR  116,6      2755 /dev/snd/controlC0
> exe     2643  dl   27u   CHR  116,6      2755 /dev/snd/controlC0
> exe     2643  dl   34u   CHR  116,4      2764 /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p
>
> cat /proc/2643/cmdline
> /usr/bin/pulseaudio--log-target=syslog
>
> killing the pulseaudio app fixes the problem.  I don't remember this
> in f7 and I don't know what I'm doing to cause it to start.

PulseAudio is the new sound server that's installed and enabled by
default for Fedora 8. It handles sound input from esound/arts/ALSA/etc
and does fancy mixing and transporting and generally makes sound support
totally awesome. You can get more info about it here:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeaturePulseaudio

Since it's a replacement for esound/arts, it's started when you log in
to GNOME/KDE, just like those programs were.

Here's the problem: Skype apparently still doesn't know how to use ALSA
properly. Since it's a closed-source app there's not a lot we can do
about that. There appears to be a workaround mentioned here:
http://developer.novell.com/wiki/index.php/Feisty/HOWTO:_PulseAudio#Running_Skype
Basically, try running: "padsp skype" and PulseAudio will emulate the
OSS interface to make skype happy.

Hope that helps.

-w