why are 2 /boots better than 1, and supersized?

Michael Schwendt mschwendt.tmp0701.nospam at arcor.de
Tue Oct 16 12:01:21 UTC 2007

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 07:25:36 -0400, Nelson Strother wrote:

>   Somewhere circa f8t1 I noticed that LiveCD and rawhide installs were
> attempting and usually succeeding in creating a new partition
> labeled /boot1, instead of recognizing and adding the appropriate
> bits in the existing /boot partition, as f7-vintage installs had done.

Automatically reusing the /boot partition of a completely different
installation is a crack idea. Effectively, you would also share
/boot/grub (unless you put it onto an own partition), which means you
could not install a separate boot loader for each of your installations.
Everything squeezed into a single grub.conf, and each of your
installations would add/remove entries from the single grub.conf.
"Good bye" to chain-loading boot loaders from the MBR. Oh, I would
not like that at all as a default for non-upgrade installations.