Graphical windows at boot disappeared

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Thu Oct 18 23:29:53 UTC 2007

Mike Chambers wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-10-18 at 06:43 -0400, Jim Cornette wrote:
>> Antonio wrote:
>>> After latest updated (yesterday), when I boot the machine, I see
>>> shortly the graphical window (I mean the window with the graphical bar
>>> representing the advanement of procedure), then it reverts to text
>>> window (and idle apparently on the line activation of /etc/fstab, but
>>> it continues working), then I get the login screen.
>>> Why????
>>>
>> I see the exit of rhgb followed by the OK messages and then the gdm
>> login screen. I have seen this behavior for some time.
>> I don't think it is by design. Why it happens, I have no idea.
>
> known bug, and should be fixed in latest rhgb that came  out last night
> or early this morning. Version your looking for that I think has the fix
> is rhgb-8.0.1-1.fc8.

Thanks for the notice.

It doesn't exit as before. It doesn't tell you what process is being
performed any longer either.
Either the labels announcing what is going on currently or a label or
visual representation that the bar passes would be nice.
A blank bar introduces one of the annoyances that MS products expose
users to. There is no clue to what is happening behind the scenes.
I realize this is probably intentional for users who only care that the
computer boots. It just seems to dumb down an impression Linux has as a
plus to the environment.

Jim

--
The new Linux anthem will be "He's an idiot, but he's ok", as performed
by Monthy Python.  You'd better start practicing.