Policy or best practice on mentioning dependency issues

shmuel siegel fedora at shmuelhome.mine.nu
Fri Oct 19 09:10:02 UTC 2007

seth vidal wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-10-19 at 00:50 -0400, Arch Willingham wrote:
>
>> Ditto to what cornel said. YUM and its iterations work great and I
>> appreciate what the developers do.
>>

> except I think the error messages suck for a lot of people and I'm
> somewhat at a loss as to how to un-suck them.
>
> -sv

One common complaint is that the yum message is often misleading. There
are two situations which seem to cause it

    * Update "x" deletes some file that package "y" needs. Yum will
      complain about package "y". Worse, package "y" might even be
      already installed (i.e, not in the update list). If yum can tell
      us that package "x" is causing problems with package "y", we can
      make intelligent decisions about what to change.
    * Update "x" pulls in update "y". Update "y" has dependency
      problems. But the user didn't ask for update "y" so he doesn't
      know how to exclude it. If yum would tell us the update "y" was
      included by update "x" the user can exclude update "x".

Hopefully yum has enough information to help in these situations.