F8t3 - Minimal services to run?

Adam Pribyl pribyl at lowlevel.cz
Fri Oct 19 12:48:05 UTC 2007

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007, Harald Hoyer wrote:

> Keith Roberts wrote:
>>
>>        total        used   free   shared   buffers   cached
>> Mem:     489          67    422        0         3       24
>> -/+ buffers/cache     39    450
>> Swap: 1066             0   1066
>>
>> Are there any other services that I need for a basic system please, such as
>> logging?
>>
>> I thought I'd try booting a very minimal system, then add services as
>> needed, rather than working from the other perspective of disabling
>> services I might not need.
>>
>> Kind Regards
>>
>> Keith Roberts
>>

> You may want:
>
> # iptables
> # network
> # irqbalance
> # rsyslog
> # auditd
> # cpuspeed
> # messagebus
> # rpcbind
> # rpcidmapd
> # nscd
> # sshd
> # ConsoleKit
> # crond
> # atd
> # avahi-daemon
> # cups
> # haldaemon
> # anacron

This I would like to have more explained. For want purpose you should run
irqbalance on system with minimum devices, auditd on system without
selinux (which I recommend to switch off on system with slow cpu and low
memory). Why cpuspeed on cpu that does not have any of frequency
switching. I'm also in doubt about rpc* and nscd to be really necesary on
browsing machine. Avahi is needed only for file sharing services, so this
is also not essential to run Fedora.

Adam Pribyl