I lost Windows

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 22 02:39:20 UTC 2007

--- John Summerfield <debian at herakles.homelinux.org>
wrote:

> Jason Taylor wrote:
> > On 10/21/07, John Summerfield
> <debian at herakles.homelinux.org> wrote:
> >
> > Yes, bugzilla #322401 addresses this, and Jeremy
> mentioned that this
> > is fixed in the latest update. As far as I know
> (what I had to do) was
> > just manually add the Vista partition to the
> grub.conf and away I
> > went.
>
> I was dreading the thought of this going out
> unfixed. Its a minor
> inconvenience for me, but you should see the
> problems people have been
> having with grub, on F-list!  They'd be formatting
> their disks,
> reinstalling Windows, swearing off Linux....

This would not be a wise thing to do.  They should
first check that their windows partition is still
present by doing an
# fdisk -l
and upon confirming that it is there add the entry for
windows manually.  Otherwise, it would indeed be a
disaster.

> Cheers
> John
>
> -- spambait

This happened to me as well on a machine, I did not
even noticed.  Then I wanted to boot Windows, and the
grub entry was not there.  So I said to myself "oh
shit", but I did what Jason said, manually added the
entry to grub.conf and I was able to boot up windows
again.

Regards,

Antonio