I lost Windows

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon Oct 22 08:35:43 UTC 2007

Dylan Graham wrote:
> John Summerfield wrote:
>> I just typed in to the grub command line:
>> chainloader (hd0,0)+1
>> boot
>
> I noticed that this is entered automatically (despite the bug) during
> the install if you add another OS during the grub configuration and
> point it at the NTFS partition.
>

> title Windows XP
>         rootnoverify (hd0,0)
>         makeactive
>         chainloader  +1

That is close to what I expected to happen, twice, one for each NTFS
partition (I think both boot).

I don't recall every having to do anything special before, and I;m not
going to reinstall on that box just to find out, and it's the only
64-bit CPU I have.

fwiw I don't think your code is precisely right: some years ago, some
stirrer on one of the RHL 7.x lists muttered that adding an entry
"windows" might be a breach of trademark, and how do we know it's
windows and not something else, maybe DOS, maybe OS/2 (NTFS and HPFS use
the same partition type; really it means "installable filesystem").

The result, after some discussion, was a change to call it "other" or
some such.

--

Cheers
John