Policy or best practice on mentioning dependency issues

shrek-m at gmx.de shrek-m at gmx.de
Mon Oct 22 15:14:47 UTC 2007

Florian Festi schrieb:
> seth vidal wrote:
>> On Mon, 2007-10-22 at 10:46 +0200, Florian Festi wrote:
>>> For dist upgrades it might even be necessary to remove already
>>> installed pkgs. This all has to be done with care or you end up with
>>> a system with some of the essential pkgs (kernel, glibc, yum,
>>> Python, ...) missing or in an endless loop.
>>
>> there are several thousand ways that I hate "removing already installed
>> pkgs" as an automatic solution to a depsolving problem. That kind of
>> thinking for me does not fill me with confidence as I've watched that
>> behavior screw up far too often.
>
> We have implemented that in our own depsolver where it works quite
> well. We were able to upgrade between all Fedora releases since FC4
> without manual interaction. But for a machine I care about I would
> omit the -y switch...
>
> In fact there is no way doing dist upgrades without removing old
> packages. And I have more confidence in an well thought algorithm than
> into a hand crafted pkg list.

some reasons why it actually does not work :(
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-October/msg01403.html

eg.

cyrus-imapd.x86_64 2.3.9-7.fc6
cyrus-imapd.x86_64 2.3.8-3.fc7
cyrus-imapd.x86_64 2.3.9-7.fc8 (2007-10-22)

f7 < f6 = f8
sorry , the dist-upgarde can not work without removing packages
but you should not patch yum you shoud patch the maintainers.

--
shrek-m