Rawhide DVD - Requesting isoinfo run on the iso

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Thu Oct 25 23:08:54 UTC 2007

David Timms wrote:

>> Too bad you can't tell torrent "hit this local torrent 'proxy/cache'
>> and if it has a copy get my data (including others to connect from/to)
>> from there".
>>
>> Note: --tracker_proxy only connects you to an http proxy so you can
>> make the initial connection, not the download||upload connections.
>> there exists no torrent_proxy.
>>
>> Yes it is sad to only be a leach, but if we could operate our download
>> that way at all then we might be able to contribute in other ways.
> I have a solution for this which is a python script with the name:
> archive-teleconstructor.py
> For the orginal message see:
>
> Basically, it uses some info on the structure of an iso to insert bits
> of the iso that are already available locally {eg from an earlier test
> release, or a yum keepcache=1}. Depending on the sameness of the current
> iso to the previous downloaded material, you might save 50 - 80% of
> downloads or that 3GB iso.

A lot of folk also have problems with firewall rules.

What would work really well for everyone is jigdo. It originated with
Debian, and I think CentOS and one or two others are using it.

Using jigdo and a template, similar in concept I expect to the
.bittorrent file, one can construct the whole from parts obtained from
a) A previous .iso
b) Local files
c) One or more mirrors of the users' choice.

In this particular case someone, we'll call him "Me" and "I," could
download the .jigdo and .template files (yes there are two files), then
First, I apply the F8t3 ISO
Second, I apply the yum archive - I pulled 900 Mbytes last evening. Ouch.
Third, I apply stuff from mirror.3fl.net.au - my IAP's mirror, if
there's anything there.
Fourth, I apply Rawhide.

All that my IAP pays for is what comes from Rawhide.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait