package changes size?

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Fri Oct 26 12:19:13 UTC 2007

On 26.10.2007 13:55, David Timms wrote:
> David Boles wrote:
>> on 10/26/2007 6:25 AM, David Timms wrote:
>>> And it would be nice for both of them to "talk" in the same language or
>>> better show both eg:
>>> package      download size    install size
>>> fred-1.0.1     100kB             665kB
>>>
>>> Along with the totals for the transaction set:
>>>               4.678MB          13.434MB
>> You are joking here correct? You 'expect' a compressed file to 'announce'
>> it's installed size?
> Yeah.
> It wouldn't need to be perfect {eg when scripts generate further data
> during the install}.
> What OS does that?
> Like zipinfo. Maybe a new feature to include in rpm metadata itself ?
> Maybe Fedora needs to be first modern one ?

It's likely easier -- the rpm header contains all the needed info
already afaik. And it's even in the data that yum downloads afaics; take
a look at the file /updates/7/x86_64/repodata/primary.xml.gz on your
favorite mirror and you'll for each package see something like this:

[...]
  <size package="400311" installed="1213843" archive="1218576"/>
[...]

I suppose that's the data that is needed and it's likely in the
primary.sqlite.bz2 (which yum prefers these days iirc) as well.

David, maybe just file a bug as RFE and see what happens.

CU
knur