Panasonic CF-52 (Radeon X2100), and xorg does not work with F8T3

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Mon Oct 29 23:06:09 UTC 2007

Folks,
we just tried an install on a Panasonic CF-52 (TOUGHBOOK laptop) using an ATI
Radeon X2100.
1) had to install in text mode because X is just black screen.
2) after install startx results in the same situation. (consistency is nice)
3) by default xorg.conf is pointing at vesa instead of an ati driver, so it
does not do a PCI scan, it just hangs at a black screen.

after setting the driver to ati, the startx process just gives up because xorg
(as the log.ati shows) for some reasons can't find a screen.

BTW, no other monitors plugged in, just the one on the laptop, and when I do
plug other monitors in (such as a Dell 1907FPf) it changes nothing.

So is there a way to get 2D on this machine, besides doing
http://www.fedorafaq.org/#radeon
or figuring out which driver from
http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html
(the M71 || Mobility Radeon X2100 is not listed)???

I miss the days of being able to tell X to drop back and punt with a generic
VGA (640x480 or 800x600) config.

P.S. is the correct etiquette for this mailing list to:
A) have a bunch of text files attached,
B) tar and bzip them before attaching,
C) make the folks helping you request the ones they want???

--
Todd Denniston