F8T3 and chess

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Oct 31 08:16:31 UTC 2007

Since the chess program lacks a library of games, and recalling my chess
hero of a while ago, I googled for some of Bobby's games.

I found this: http://www.chesscorner.com/games/download/fischer.zip, a
collection of 879 games (or so the website says).

I was a little surprised to find all the games in a single file, but I
really don't know anything about the pgn format except it's somewhat
intelligible to mortals:

[summer at potoroo ~]$ head -20 Download/fischer.pgn
[Event "?"]
[Site "New York,1848"]
[Date "????.??.??"]
[Round "?"]
[White "Fischer"]
[Black "Unknown"]
[Result "1-0"]
[ECO "B57"]
[Opening "Sicilian, Magnus Smith Trap"]

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 d6 6. Bc4 g6
7. Nxc6 bxc6 8. e5 dxe5 9. Bxf7+ 1-0

[Event "?"]

Unfortunately, "chess" can't open the file, it complains "unknown
character '..' where the two dots represent two characters I can't type
on this keyboard.

Those question marks really are question marks, they're not being used
to represent anything unprintable.

The question is, is this file invalid? Chess doesn't give me anything
useful (for example, the line number or the byte offset).

I then downloaded this http://www.pgnmentor.com/players/Tal.zip and some
other files from the same location, but chess can't open those either.

Has anyone had better fortune?

--

Cheers
John