Looking for some answers..

Arne Chr. Jorgensen achrisjo at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 12 15:30:24 UTC 2007

hi,

Michel Salim <michel.sylvan at gmail.com> wrote:

>    On 11/09/2007, Arne Chr. Jorgensen wrote:
>    > start booting up. Secondly, there isn't many lines before this, because the
>    > devices in the
>    > kernel is told to be quiet, unless there are errors. At the moment I am
>
>    Removing the 'quiet' option when trying to debug a kernel problem
>    might be a good idea.
>
>    Are your hard drives connected via SATA or PATA? The "ata4: SATA link
>    down" is rather worrying.

1. hard drives is SATA, dvd/cdrom is PATA

2: removing 'quiet':
in Suse /etc/sysconfig/scsi - did pass SCSIDEV_ARGS="-r -v -v"
( didn't find any other option as grub config seems binary coded, not familar
with it ) Fedora screwed up buttons, keyboard, ... couldn't communicate with it.
Suse did leave me in a rescue shell, while with minimal commands, no dmesg for example.
And as I don't have any media to mount, I haven't found a way to dump info.

I am just a user, no kernel debugger. At the moment I don't know how one could place
something else into the kernel, in order to mount something in wich one could get info.

//ARNE