dmraid troubles

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Fri Sep 14 21:09:34 UTC 2007

On Fri, Sep 14, 2007 at 05:01:44PM -0400, Jason Montleon wrote:

> The fact that F8T2 murdered my F7 install is not a good thing
> though. I use the computer purely for testing so no loss for me, but
> with a release version I could see people being rather furious over
> that...

Are you sure it blew away the install, and didn't just munge the
bootloader?  I it happen to me where I told F8 anaconda to ignore
/dev/sda (which has F7 and Windows on it) and only install to a USB
stick on /dev/sdb (blank flash memory stick).  When the install
finished, it was supposed to have written GRUB to /dev/sdb, but I
found that anaconda wrote grub to /dev/sda, but got it wrong so that
the only thing the hard drive booted to was a blank screen with the
words "GRUB" in the top left corner.  It was simple to restore the
bootloader by using a F7 rescue CD, chroot /mnt/sysimage, grub-install
/dev/sda.  The F7 install, Windows, etc. were fine after that.