F8T2 (x86_64 Live) System->Administration->Display annoyances

richard mullens mullens at ntlworld.com
Sun Sep 16 21:23:48 UTC 2007

I have an Asus P5B Deluxe motherboard, an Acer AL1711 (1280x1024)
display and I have been trying the live CD.

When I log on, the display remains in a low resolution mode.

If I use System->Administration->Display to select the appropriate
monitor, or choose Generic LCD 1280x1024 then do "ok",
xorg.conf is written without any Modes in the Subsection "Display" (ie
the Modes line is missing) and xorg.conf.backup is NOT written.
After Control_Alt_Backspace, the display appears (it seems) with
resolution 1920x1080 - and luckily the monitor syncs to this.

If I then use System->Administration->Display to change the resolution
to the desired 1280x1024, then the "Modes" line appears in xorg.conf and
after Control_Alt_backspace the display is set correctly.

I don't think that this is a new phenomenon.  I think it will certainly
discourage a novice from using Fedora.