Fedora 8 Test 2 on an Inspiron 9300

Adam Jackson ajackson at redhat.com
Mon Sep 17 13:56:02 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-09-16 at 21:05 +1000, Rodd Clarkson wrote:
> My laptop doesn't wake from suspend.  I'm pretty sure this is the old
> 'nv' driver doesn't wake from suspend issue I've had before and the
> sooner I can get that disease ridden nvidia driver (from livna)
> compiled, the sooner I can confirm this.  However, the build method has
> changed and I can't figure it out, so if someone can give me a hand
> getting this working, then I can file a bug against the 'nv' driver with
> regard to resume issues.

nv has many, many known resume issues.  On most laptops, the nv video
BIOS will nop out the POST path after boot.  The VBIOS makes cross-calls
to the system BIOS to determine policy, and the system BIOS may have
been thrown away, so it's easier for NVIDIA to just do nothing with
VBIOS calls after bootup and let the driver handle it directly.

Which is, in fact, the correct thing to do, but it does mean we can't do
'vbetool post' on nv chips reliably.  And we don't currently have the
code to initialize the chip without doing BIOS POST, so.  It's a bit
screwed atm.  I've mentioned this to NVIDIA and they're trying to work
out a solution, but right now nv laptops should be considered
hibernate-only with the nv driver.

This is probably something that should go in a release note.

- ajax