Grub loader question ? PLEASE CHECK THIS!!

Arne Chr. Jorgensen achrisjo at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 18 01:11:17 UTC 2007

Markku Kolkka <markkuk at tuubi.net> wrote: Arne Chr. Jorgensen kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika maanantai,
17. syyskuuta 2007):
> Should check registry in Windows,  but the F8t2 didn't leave
> any entry.

Installing Fedora shouldn't touch anything in Windows.

> What should the entry for booting Windows be ?

Depends on your disk/partition configuration, but the most usual
should be:

title WinXP
        rootnoverify (hd0,0)
        chainloader +1

This works if Windows is on the first partition of the first hard
drive (in BIOS boot order).

> What command do you give to have it rewrite this new entry ?

Use your favorite text editor (emacs, gedit, kedit, nano, ...) as
root to edit /boot/grub/grub.conf

--
 Markku Kolkka
 markku.kolkka at iki.fi

To unsubscribe:

Thanks.  I did loose it after an update, and don't usually have dual boot.
I had tried what you did - but it didn't work. But trying again, I added
"makeactive"  and then I did get it started.

Here is a snippet of my file as it is right now:

title Fedora (2.6.23-0.184.rc6.git4.fc8)
    root (hd0,2)
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.23-0.184.rc6.git4.fc8 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet
    initrd /initrd-2.6.23-0.184.rc6.git4.fc8.img
title Fedora (2.6.23-0.164.rc5.fc8)
    root (hd0,2)
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.23-0.164.rc5.fc8 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet
    initrd /initrd-2.6.23-0.164.rc5.fc8.img
title Windows Vista
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
        makeactive
    chainloader +1

As I am uncertain and unfamiliar - I wanted to include - perhaps someone
would have a comment ?

The Fedora entry right above - did stall during boot up. This used to happen to the first, before I entered the Windows Vista section.  This was
a bit odd ?

( have to press the power off button when it does, else it doesn't find the
disk and I have kernel panics. )  Have had a lot of trouble with the sata drive.... is there anything here that may cause something ?

Example:

1.  It reads this loader,  but sinse it is waiting for an entry, a selection,
will the disk shut down in a sleep state ?  ( it does stop )
2. What wakes it up and into action ?  ( think it is given a resume cmd )
3. But what if that isn't enough ? It may have read the whole loader into
ram.  What is the reason for waisting power, spinning up the drive again ?

I don't know the instruction set for these disks,  but some flush, force startup, has to be given.

4.  There is a nVidia nForce System management controller - stearing
a lot of subdivided I/O resources.  The power button isn't a power switch,
but an input signal to this control system.   As I toggle the switch, I give it
a kick, may have it issue a "spin up" command ?

Can that sound reasonable ?   ( if so... this may be a lead to figure out why
there are so much trouble with having it recognizing these drives )

I have tried to find out for weeks now:

A:=> > ata4: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 300)
> pata_amd 0000:00:06.0: version 0.3.8
>    > PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:06.0 to 64
>    > scsi4: pata_amd
>    > scsi5: pata_amd
>    > ata5: PATA max UDMA/133 cmd 0x00000000000101f0 ctl 0x00000000000103f6 bmdma 0x00000000000130c0 >    irq 14
>    > ata6: PATA max UDMA/133 cmd 0x0000000000010170 ctl 0x0000000000010376 bmdma 0x00000000000130c8 >    irq 15
>    > ata5.00: ATAPI: MATSHITADVD-RAM UJ-851S, 1.50, max MWDMA2
>    > ata5.00: ATAPI: configured for MWDMA2
>    > ata6: port disabled. ignoring.
>    > scsi 4:0:0:0: CD-ROM MATSHITADVD-RAM UJ-851S, 1.50 PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
>    > device-mapper: ioctl: 4.11.0-ioctl (2006-10-12) initialised: dm-devel at redhat.com
B:===> Reading all physical volumes. This may take a while...
>    > No volume groups found
>    > Volume group "VolGroup00" not found
>    > Unable to access resume device (/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01)
>    > mount: could not find filesystem '/dev/root'
>    > setuproot: moving /dev failed: No such file or directory
>    > Setuproot: error mounting /proc: No such file or directory
>    > Setuproot: error mounting /sys: No such file or directory
>    > switchroot: mount failed: No such file or directory
>    > Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempting to kill init!
>    >
>    > ---------------------------------

NOTE my arrows:

A:  The disk has stopped after reading "grub".
( tired, not that clear minded, but I think this is how it behaves)
B:  The disk should spin up, reading physical volumes, but it doesn't.
    It is not activated, so it times out "This may take a while..."
    ( in OpenSuse, there is a dot written to screen, perhaps each second,
     like this: ................ )
    Until it gives up and drop you to a rescue shell.  ( And I haven't been
    able to trigger the disk to spin up from that shell )

                         --------------------

If this sounds reasonable - then this may be the problem facing a lot of folks.
You install all software from DVD which is a pATA drive, and when you reboot,
you don't find the installed system, or just parts of the "first boot" until
a similar pause by the drive.

I don't know grub and those commands, but perhaps one could do a "dd" write
to the drive. Thing is - the kernel will keep activity with the swap partition.
Is there someone that knows that part very well ???  There must be a disk-cmd
there, as the disk may stop for longer periods.

Perhaps this may explain some odd bugs that exist elsewhere as well.

IS THERE some simple way to test this ?   Am I making sense ?

//ARNE