Updated F8T2 x86_64 - Can't run Eclipse 3.3.0-19.fc8 as normal user

Jonathan Corbet lwn-ft at lwn.net
Tue Sep 18 16:23:14 UTC 2007

Jim Hayward <jimhayward at earthlink.net> wrote:

> On an updated F8T2 x86_64 system, I can't run Eclipse as a normal user.
> Eclipse will run fine if I launch it as root. I don't see anything in
> the log files.

FWIW, I'm seeing exactly the same thing with emacs after this morning's
ill-advised update.  I traced it down to this line in my .emacs:

	(require 'mh-e)

Now, the world has been telling me to upgrade to an at least 1990's era
mailer for a while now, but I'm a little set in my ways and would like
things to work.

FWIW, the hang appears associated with this:

[pid  4426] open("/h/corbet/Mail/context", O_RDWR|O_NONBLOCK <unfinished ...>
[pid  4426] fcntl(3, F_SETLK, {type=F_WRLCK, whence=SEEK_SET, start=0, len=0} <unfinished ...>

If I run emacs as root (with the same .emacs file) everything works.

Kernel is 2.6.23-rc6 (unchanged from before the update), basic ext3
filesystem.

jon

Jonathan Corbet / LWN.net / corbet at lwn.net