Gnome Panel needs Mono?!

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Wed Sep 19 13:35:29 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-09-19 at 10:08 +0200, Martin Sourada wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wanted to run another set of updates in rawhide and noticed one thing
> I think is very bad - gnome-panel pushes tomboy which in turn pushes all
> the C# stuff in. I simply don't understand why should gnome-panel
> require tomboy (the more it is turned off safely on archs where tomboy
> isn't available and the more it worked without problems without it so
> far). Until this is fixed I will either rebuild gnome-panel package
> without the dependency on tomboy, or stay with
> gnome-panel-2.19.92-4.fc8.

Tomboy was added to the default configuration because a lot of people
find it very useful. Pulling it in via comps would be better, except for
the fact that the panel currently insists on putting up an error dialog
if a configured applet is missing. I've filed a bug about getting rid of
that error message in certain situations. Once that is done, we'll drop
the requires for tomboy and fast-user-switch-applet and rely on comps
to pull it in.

And if somebody wrote a lighter tomboy replacement that didn't use mono,
we'd probably use that instead. But so far, nobody has.