rawhide report: 20070919 changes

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Thu Sep 20 02:41:46 UTC 2007

David Boles wrote:

> Not sure, exactly, what you are saying here. Remove is not normally
> necessary. Just exclude the packages that are causing the problems with
> some of the packages in the update.

Since the plugin did not exclude packages that were "broken", I am not
sure why an additional step of using exclude in tandem would be needed.

skip broken downloaded the rpms but bailed before installation of the
rpms. Yum is now out of the equation and rpm directly is the solution.
rpm complains about digikam and the kde related plugin. I read their
descriptions and though digikam sounded interesting, I never used it to
date, The plugin was never used as far as I recall. At least I never
intervened in the process.

As a note, skip-broken did exclude xurlrunner from the downloaded cache.

I believe that I am catching on to what skip-broken does. It excludes
pulling in new packages with dependency problems. It does not exclude
package conflicts due to packages already installed.

So what would the right command to get the packages installed without
conflict be? Would it be something like below? Or would simply
determining your need for the conflicting package and removing it be a
better alternative?

yum -y --skip-broken --exclude=digikam

Jim

--
Hi Jimbo.  Dennis.  Really appreciate the help on the income tax.  You wanna
help on the audit now?