rawhide report: 20070919 changes

David Boles dgboles at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 03:20:29 UTC 2007

on 9/19/2007 10:41 PM, Jim Cornette wrote:
> David Boles wrote:
>> Not sure, exactly, what you are saying here. Remove is not normally
>> necessary. Just exclude the packages that are causing the problems with
>> some of the packages in the update.
>>

> Since the plugin did not exclude packages that were "broken", I am not
> sure why an additional step of using exclude in tandem would be needed.
>
> skip broken downloaded the rpms but bailed before installation of the
> rpms. Yum is now out of the equation and rpm directly is the solution.
> rpm complains about digikam and the kde related plugin. I read their
> descriptions and though digikam sounded interesting, I never used it to
> date, The plugin was never used as far as I recall. At least I never
> intervened in the process.
>
> As a note, skip-broken did exclude xurlrunner from the downloaded cache.
>
> I believe that I am catching on to what skip-broken does. It excludes
> pulling in new packages with dependency problems. It does not exclude
> package conflicts due to packages already installed.
>
> So what would the right command to get the packages installed without
> conflict be? Would it be something like below? Or would simply
> determining your need for the conflicting package and removing it be a
> better alternative?
>
> yum -y --skip-broken --exclude=digikam

I am *not* an expert here. Only an old time user. The plugins are
'painless'. I have never had one of them cause problems. Fail? Sometimes
maybe. But not break anything. As well as yum.

Rpm is what can do, if you really do 'bad things' with it without knowing
exactly what you are doing, will break things.

Your example, from above, 'might' work. Or it 'might not' work. It might
take some tweaks. But it would not break anything. 'Excluding' means don't
do anything with this. 'Force' and 'nodeps' are the really bad commands
for the uneducated users.

Computers are different. Installed packages are different. Many things are
different. That is why 'it works for me' and it might not 'work for you'
happens.

Another thing to consider. Sometimes mirrors are not updated just when you
connect. Try later works more times than people like to admit.  :-)
--

  David