F8test2 Xen guest install to F7 fails - no /Fedora directory in distro.

Mike Carney mc-al34luc at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 21 14:54:08 UTC 2007

Jesse Keating wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 13:19:17 -0700
> Mike Carney <mc-al34luc at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> No, it fails. The installer is still looking for a /Fedora directory:
>
> Now that I don't believe, as I tested this method a /lot/ before
> sending out the isos.  Can you give me anaconda logs for this?

If folks are going to use the virt* tools to install f8test2 guests,
something has to change.

I don't know what you tested, but dom0's running 7.90 and earlier will not
be able to install 7.91 guests because 7.91 renamed the Fedora directory to
Packages in the iso.

>From python-virtinst-0.200.0-3.fc7:
/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/virtinst/DistroManager.py:
# Fedora distro check
class FedoraImageStore(RedHatImageStore):
    def isValidStore(self, fetcher, progresscb):
        if fetcher.hasFile("Fedora", progresscb):
            logging.debug("Detected a Fedora distro")
            return True
        return False

If you're going to change the layout of distro in the iso, you're going to
either need to make a symbolic link from /Fedora to /Packages in the iso,
release new versions of python-virtinst for earlier versions of Fedora and
RHEL so that they recognize the new layout, or some other scheme in
python-virtinst to reliably identify the Fedora distro.

Changing line 213 of

/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/virtinst/DistroManager.py

from

if fetcher.hasFile("Fedora", progresscb):

if fetcher.hasFile("Packages", progresscb):

And rerunning virt-install or virt-manager for a F8test2 guest now lets the
installer start up.

Do I need to submit a bug?

Mike