An especially raw rawhide?

Jonathan Corbet lwn-ft at lwn.net
Mon Sep 24 15:26:20 UTC 2007

Running rawhide on my primary desktop for the last few years has always
been good for a surprise or two.  It's part of the fun.  But I'm
curious: is it just me, or is the experience a bit more rawer than usual
at the moment?

 - nmh has some sort of locking trouble - commands just hang to the
   point that only kill -9 will get rid of them.  Local ext3 filesystem,
   no NFS nastiness involved.  Running the commands as root works.  But
   who wants to run MH as root?

 - /tmp gets filled with tmprules-N.dat files.  A bit of searching
   points the finger at thunderbird on this one.

 - X clients occasionally just exit, seemingly losing their connection
   to the server.  For whatever reason, panel applets (and the panel
   itself) seem especially prone to this one.

 - Sound doesn't work - all the files in /dev/snd are set to root-only
   permissions.  Looks like maybe the pulseaudio transition is stuck
   partway?

So am I alone in all this?

Thanks,

jon