An especially raw rawhide? (X client disconnects)

Jonathan Corbet lwn-ft at lwn.net
Tue Sep 25 14:37:41 UTC 2007

Adam Jackson <ajackson at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-09-24 at 09:26 -0600, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
>
> >  - X clients occasionally just exit, seemingly losing their connection
> >    to the server.  For whatever reason, panel applets (and the panel
> >    itself) seem especially prone to this one.
>
> I haven't seen this.  It might be good to attach strace to one and dump
> the output somewhere to see what happens just before it exits.

I've been trying.  But, when you get one random client disconnecting
every hour or so, it's *really* hard to get a useful capture.

Emacs has died once or twice, printing a one-line "lost connection to X
server" message.

One interesting data point: I've dropped back to a 2.6.22 kernel and
have yet to see the problem.  It's only been a couple of hours of work
time, so it's too soon to say, but there might be some sort of
unix-domain socket weirdness in 2.6.23-rc.  If that is true, it would
sure be nice to get a handle on it before the final comes out.

Thanks,

jon

Jonathan Corbet / LWN.net / corbet at lwn.net