An especially raw rawhide? (nmh and audio)

Jonathan Corbet lwn-ft at lwn.net
Tue Sep 25 14:42:18 UTC 2007

Jeremy Katz <katzj at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-09-24 at 09:26 -0600, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> >  - nmh has some sort of locking trouble - commands just hang to the
> >    point that only kill -9 will get rid of them.  Local ext3 filesystem,
> >    no NFS nastiness involved.  Running the commands as root works.  But
> >    who wants to run MH as root?
>
> Might be worth running it under strace to get a better idea of what's
> going on.  I suspect you're the only person left in the world running
> nmh ;-)

That's easy:

% strace scan
[...]
open("/h/corbet/Mail/context", O_RDWR|O_NONBLOCK) = 3
fcntl(3, F_SETLK, {type=F_WRLCK, whence=SEEK_SET, start=0, len=0}) = -1 ENOLCK (No locks available)
The fcntl() call takes a while to time out, then the program just
loops and tries again.

> >  - Sound doesn't work - all the files in /dev/snd are set to root-only
> >    permissions.  Looks like maybe the pulseaudio transition is stuck
> >    partway?
>
> They should have acls to allow your user access -- also worth seeing if
> pulseaudio is actually running.

% getfacl /dev/snd/*
# file: dev/snd/controlC0
# owner: root
# group: root
user::rw-
group::rw-
other::rw-

...and it goes on in that vein forever.  Who is supposed to be setting
those ACLs?

As for pulseaudio, I have:

 3312 ?        Sl     0:00 /usr/bin/pulseaudio --log-target=syslog
 3599 ?        S      0:00 /usr/libexec/pulse/gconf-helper

Thanks,

jon

Jonathan Corbet / LWN.net / corbet at lwn.net