kernel.i586 set to be updated even though not i586

stan eiqep_eiwo_y at cox.net
Tue Sep 25 17:01:33 UTC 2007

Dave Jones wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 09:22:59AM -0700, stan wrote:
>  > I'm using yum update to update my rawhide system.  It has the following
>  > kernel characteristics.
>  > uname -a
>  > Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.23-0.195.rc7.git3.fc8 #1 SMP Sat Sep 22
>  > 08:20:01 EDT 2007 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
>  >
>  > I see that kernel.i586 is in the update list.  This seems like it might
>  > be a problem.  Shades of the Fedora Core 6 problem.
>
> If you had a kernel.i586 installed at any point in the past
> (say from the FC6 screwup), then it'll continue to recieve updates.
>
> If you can reproduce this with an install of the current tree, that
> would be worth filing a bug about.
>
> 	Dave

Thanks for the response.

This rawhide started as a fresh Fedora 7 install.  I then upgraded to
rawhide by switching repositories and manually taking care of the
inconsistencies.  Because I used a dump of every system I have to get a
list of rpms to install it is possible I pulled in the i586 kernel rpm
from Fedora Core 6.  There is no i586 image in boot though.  Just one of
those anomalies, I guess.

I probably won't reimage as there are 4000+ packages and it would take
forever to get back.
I'll manually try to remove it continue to monitor.