What determines which volume control is used by default?

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Sun Sep 30 04:15:24 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-09-24 at 19:43 -0400, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-09-24 at 19:16 -0400, Michel Salim wrote:
> > I'm asking this, because on my Thinkpad T61 running Rawhide, the mixer
> > applet by default controls the microphone input volume, rather than
> > PCM.
> >
> > That can be fixed easily. Harder to fix is which volume is adjusted
> > when the keys set in Keyboard Shortcuts to control volume are pressed.
> > They still adjust the microphone volume!
>
> Did you try your Sound preferences?

This got me to wondering whether my keyboard shortcuts could now control
both Master and Master Mono.  I've got a sub-woofer, but it's on the
master mono channel and as a result I've been unable to use the keyboard
short cuts since they only adjusted master.

However, you can now select multiple channels to control (in System >
Preferences > Hardware > Sound) and as such it now "Just Works(TM)"

It would be great if this was the default for laptops like this.  Is
this possible and if so how do we go about doing this.

Also, I thought that rawhide was moving to pulse audio, but when I look
at Devices in the Sounds Preferences, the only events that the Test
works for is ones that where marked "ALSA - Advanced Linux Sound
Architecture".  Shouldn't using PulseAudio work?

Also, the Test tone is a loud, annoying tone and could be much more
pleasant.

R.

 It's much better on my side"