Exiting urxvt freezes system

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Sun Apr 6 00:45:29 UTC 2008

On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 10:48:28PM -0400, Scott Robbins wrote:

I accidentally deleted Andrew's response (and this is mutt so there was
no turning back.)

Original problem:

> It opens, I can type things in it and everything's fine.  However, if I
> type exit to close the terminal, my entire system freezes.  I can't ping
> it from another machine, I can't use any keystrokes to get out of X, the
> mouse is frozen and the only thing to do is a hard reboot of the machine
> by pressing the power key.
>

> /var/log/messages shows kernel: X[2109]: segfault at 0 ip 0812fdf2
> spbf94c03c error 4 in Xorg[8048000+1ae000].

Andrew suggested installing kernel-debuginfo.  Oddly enough, there
doesn't seem to be a kernel-debuginfo package available--doing a yum
search for kernel and debug, I still couldn't find it.  What am I
missing?

Running -F on /var/log/messages only showed the same information as
given above, that  kernel: X[2109] segfault message.

It doesn't surprise me that Andrew can't reproduce it, this laptop is
rather flakey.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Buffy: Mom, the only way you get a new slayer is if the old
slayer dies.
Joyce: Then that means you... When did you die? You never told me
you died.
Buffy: It was just for a few minutes.