menu usefulness destroyed, how to make useful again

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sun Apr 6 12:53:51 UTC 2008

Andrew Farris wrote:
> Jim Cornette wrote:
>> I lost a lot of my added applets and launchers which I had setup. Is
>> this intentional breakage or will this be straightened out? right
>> clicking has add to panel and desktop grayed out.
>> This is highly disappointing of a feature degradation.
>
> Looks like a bug, they show (and work) for me.
> gnome-panel-2.22.0-10

They used to be working on the 64-bit clean install and now are all
messed up. For the older 32-bit box they are working as before.

If I try to remove existing applets on the 64-bit clean install now, I
get a message that some features are locked down and all I have
available are the default applets. None of the customizations for added
applets before I noted the problem show any longer or is it possible to
add applets and launchers back to the panels or put them on the desktop.
I was so disappointed that customization was not possible any longer
that I switched to KDE and was about motivated enough to eliminate the
whole desktop and convert over.
Using KDE for awhile removed that temptation though.
If it is a bug, I hope it is soon straightened out. If it is intentional
it pretty much makes GNOME impractical and disappointing.
The unaffected 32-bit and continuously update computer had the version
that you reference above and is working fine. I'm not on the 64-bit
version currently so am not sure of the version there.

Jim

--
In most countries selling harmful things like drugs is punishable.
Then how come people can sell Microsoft software and go unpunished?