desktop update failure (F9beta)

Joe Smith jes at martnet.com
Mon Apr 7 18:51:25 UTC 2008

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 11:15 -0400, Joe Smith wrote:
>> A root fs needing >300Mb of disk space still makes no sense to me.
>
> If you're going to play silly games with tiny filesystems, make sure
> things like /var(/cache) are suitably big enough ...

First, I agree, it is silly; 300M is 0.1% of the disk space. But I'm an
old fart and old habits die hard. And new tricks take time to learn. I
like to have real honest-to-god partitions that I know how to deal with,
and not put all the eggs in some LVM black basket that I can't
troubleshoot. Yes, I know it's silly.

Second, I do know enough to deal with /var/cache -- that's one reason
/var is on a separate partition. My / fs is pushing 300G with no package
downloads. The killers are /etc (?!?) and /lib.

It really would be nice if the "Custom filesystem layout" screens in
Anaconda had some rough size recommendations for us old farts who prefer
a "traditional" disk layout.

# du -s -x bin dev etc lib lib64 misc root sbin selinux | sort -rn
177843	lib
132263	etc
26021	lib64
21180	sbin
6373	bin
271	root
96	dev
0	selinux
0	misc

Sorry, that's 360M used out of 400M I partitioned (388M usable).

<Joe