desktop update failure (F9beta)

Joe Smith jes at martnet.com
Tue Apr 8 01:15:19 UTC 2008

Andrew Farris wrote:
> Joe Smith wrote:
>> It really would be nice if the "Custom filesystem layout" screens in
>> Anaconda had some rough size recommendations for us old farts who
>> prefer a "traditional" disk layout.
>
> As someone who micromanages my partitioning as well...
>
> I think this is good material for the release notes and user's guide,
> but poor material for the actual partitioning UI.  ...
>
> I think it would be non-trivial to make this work well, ...

All I had in mind was a tab or something on the partitioning window that
showed some recommended (or minimum) sizes--the same info you would put
in the notes.

The interface already seems to have some knowledge of the standard
partitions, and it will block if some minimum size for / is not met.

Beyond calculating space required for the installation, there seems to
be a minimum working size of around 350-400 Mb for /, even when /var,
/tmp, /boot are excluded. A running system will need room on / for three
kernels: two installed, plus one more during a kernel upgrade, before
the oldest is removed. That's at least 100M more than required for
installation.

Anyway, you're absolutely right: even a simple cheatsheet is not really
worth adding to the GUI. Most people are not going going to do a custom
partition, and if they are, they're capable of digging it out of the
notes, if they think of it. Maybe a reminder on there somewhere would be
helpful though: "Partition size guidelines may be found in the release
notes below".

<Joe