silly question - what is the rawhide/9beta+ way to set my timezone

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 12:58:32 UTC 2008

David Timms wrote:
> Yeah, every time I boot my notebook, it resets the clock to what is
> possibly UTC. I used to set region/timezone by right clicking the gnome
> clock.
>
> Where do I do that now ?

system-config-date to set the timezone and choose whether the clock updates by
ntp.  The checkbox for 'System Clock uses UTC' is probably checked for you.  If
you toggle back and forth between Windows and Linux this will cause you that
kind of grief.

You can set a registry key in windows that sets it to use universal time as well
for the hardware clock, then you don't get that constant fight between them.

If you're not using windows, then it might be a problem with the hardware clock
getting set at all when ntp changes your time, or perhaps you've got a dead
battery?  Does the date stay correct?

> I added my a location in there, but that seems to only set the weather
> zone {! which works !}.

Yes, I love that, very nicely done applet now.

  gpg 0x8300BF29 fingerprint 071D FFE0 4CBC 13FC 7DEB  5BD5 5F89 8E1B 8300 BF29