X11 failure ?

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 00:54:32 UTC 2008

Arne Chr. Jorgensen wrote:
> 4. At the moment, any application like in (3) crash the screen. It may go blank, may set up a uniform color, or a lot of vertical stripes. No keys will work, and the
> only option is to use power-off and restart the computer.

I forgot this note about testing.  It might help to go down to runlevel 3, then
as a normal user, run startx.  As soon as you get to the desktop go ahead and
start up that application that crashes X.  The crash this time should drop you
back to your terminal with some useful output.  Use 'startx &> crash-report.txt'
to capture the output to get in a report.

  gpg 0x8300BF29 fingerprint 071D FFE0 4CBC 13FC 7DEB  5BD5 5F89 8E1B 8300 BF29