A question about freenx

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 18:58:03 UTC 2008

 Scott Robbins wrote:

>Is it normal for Linux VNC either?  In Windows yes, you're both using
>the same display, but in Linux and BSD, VNC will use display :1 while
>the local user is using :0.  Therefore, under normal configuration, I
>was under the impression that a local user in X and a VNC user were
>using two different desktops.   (I never tried setting it up so that
>both were using the same, so I don't know if that's easy or not in
>Linux, though it is the default in Windows.)

The way I do it is to add a section in xorg.conf like:
Section "Module"
        Load  "vnc"
EndSection

Make sure that in the screen section of the same file you have a password
bit like this:

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Videocard0"
        DefaultDepth     24
        Option      "passwordFile" "/path/to/passwd/file"
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Then when X starts on the server machine you have the vnc module running
at all times.

I connect via an ssh tunnel with a port forward to 5900 on the machine I want
to view the desktop.  Once the tunnel is established then all that is necessary
is that a one line command is given:

vncviewer -passwd /path/to/copy/of/password/file localhost:xxxxx

where xxxx is the port number on the client machine that is forwarded
to port 5900
on the server machine.

Of course the password file has to initially be generated using the
"vncpasswd" comman,
and shared between the two machines.

So yes it is pretty straightforward - if the corresponding capability
is not available in
nx/freenx then it will have very limited use for me.

--
mike