F9 PreView Anaconda,XEN, Xorg Problems

David M Burgess davidburgess at sympatico.ca
Sun Apr 20 20:17:10 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-04-20 at 15:38 -0400, Jon Stanley wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 10:32 AM, David M Burgess
> <davidburgess at sympatico.ca> wrote:
> > I've just finished installing the Preview Release on three different
> >  hardware platforms.
> >
> >  Big problems with them all.
> >
> >  I'm installing on dual core 64 bit hardware"
> >
> >  Lenovo T61p     - dual core Intel
> >  Asus A7N-M2     - AMD M2
> >  Sun Ultra20 M2  - AMD Opteron
> >
> >  All the boxes have 2Gig of RAM and SATA drives, each box also has a
> >  NVidia video card - different one in all three.
> >
> >  When Anaconda gets to part where you configure the network cards eth0
> >  has no check mark but eth1 does and Anaconda is set to configure that by
> >  default.  A minor problem but still wrong.
>
> I'll check this out.
>
> >  Far more seriously XEN refuses to boot on any of the three platforms I
> >  even installed the 32 bit PR on the Asus box and had a similar reaction.
>
> Xen Dom0 support is not included, nor slated to be included, in F9.
> Folks that need Xen Dom0 are advised to stay with F8.  For more
> information, see
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-xen/2008-March/msg00013.html
>
> >  When I tried to update the base PR using
> >  System->Administration->Add/Remove Software it took more than 40 minutes
> >  to return and tell me that there were no updates nor any additional
> >  software to install.  So I installed yumex and it worked fine.
>
> Not sure, maybe some PackageKit guys can answer this one
>
> >  The Anaconda and PackageKit problems are merely irritating, the XEN and
> >  X are show stoppers for us.
>
> You didn't mention any X problems.

Perhaps it was a poor choice of words when I said "X".  In my original
posting I said

When using  system-config-display to try and get dual head working I
can
check the box for "dual-head" but the drop down selection box for the
"second video card" is empty.  System-config-display refuses to let me
continue until I uncheck dual-head.

So it may be X it may be system-config-display.  Sorry for the
confusion.

So from what you say the XEN kernel won't work, so why is it installable
it'd be a lot less confusing if it just plain "wasn't there".  I saw a
few RHEL 5.1 and 5.2 bugzilla reports on my exact problem (I saw then
after I posted) the Xen kernels crash when attempting to start X. BZ
435130 437412 433528.  I realize RHEL 5.x is not Fedora 9 but it seems
to be the same problem.

Thanks for the info.