FC9 xorg.conf

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 23 08:40:37 UTC 2008

On Monday 21 April 2008 20:15, Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:
> > At the time, both system-config-keyboard and kcontrol's keyboard screen
> > knew that I needed a UK keyboard, but they did not manage to give me one.
> >  Are you saying that I could now remove the xorg.conf stanza, and my
> > (fully updated) system will work without it?  I'll try that tomorrow.
> >
> > Anne
> >

> To be on the safe side backup or simply mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf.old
> and this is fully updated F9 right?
>
> And if something is not working and you have configured ( worst case try
> again after you removed xorg.conf )
> using the tools provided in gnome/kde/cli report it back
> ( keyboard etc.. )

Experiment complete.  Removing the stanza resulted in return to US keyboard.
Running system-config-keyboard found UK keyboard already highlighted.  OK'ing
resulted in UK keyboard being used.

Conclusion - bug in system-config-keyboard is fixed.
Question - if s-c-k knows that UK keyboard is the right one, why do I have to
tell it to accept it?

Anne