No sound in FC9-Preview

Antonio M antonio.montagnani at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 18:07:17 UTC 2008

2008/4/23 Jim <mickeyboa at sbcglobal.net>:

> Antonio M wrote:
>
> > 2008/4/22 Jim <mickeyboa at sbcglobal.net>:
> >

> > > Checked kmixer , sound and PCM is up, all the way.
> > >  Alsamixer has sound up, but doesn't show a PCM adj.
> > >  The  Snd_hda_intel driver is running for the chipset in this laptop.
> > >  lsmod also shows all kinds of snd modules loaded.
> > >  Can't play music on hard drive.
> > >
> > >  --
> > >

> > 1) here is my modprobe.conf file.
> >
> > alias eth0 tg3
> > alias scsi_hostadapter libata
> > alias scsi_hostadapter1 ata_piix
> > alias scsi_hostadapter2 ahci
> > alias scsi_hostadapter3 usb-storage
> > alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
> > options snd-card-0 index=0 model=acer
> > options snd-hda-intel index=0
> >
> > as you see on the last two lines there is an option=xxxxx, otherwise I
> > couldn't play any sound.
> >
> > 2) I have the system-config-soundcard installed from a F9 rpm that has
> > been removed from repo. What is the replacement tool?? anyway you can
> > grab it from koij :-)
> >

>  Antonio, the problem is they are not using the /etc/modprobe.conf in FC9.
>  Are you saying that you have a  modprobe.conf  in /etc in FC9  and it's
> being read by the kernel ?
>  Boy this snd_hda_Intel driver is impossible to use.
>  I have tried this sound card in about four different Distros and it won't
> work.
>  Jim
>
>  --

that is a good question.
I have definetely a modprobe.conf on my two F9 systems, by the way
they are yum updates of a working F8: therefore I don't know if they
are read by kernel, by the way intel driver is working great on my
laptop. Some kernel guru might clear this point, I hope... :-)

--
Antonio Montagnani
Skype : antoniomontag