UUIDs in fstab

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Wed Apr 30 15:28:09 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 04:07:16PM +0800, John Summerfield wrote:

> Labels are inherently broken, as others have noted.

Actually UUIDs are hopelessly broken too for any tool which would
try to easily indentify by itself to which installation a given
partition may belong.  Anaconda is in a position to mount everything
in sight and it tries to identify only very specific installations.
In general this does not work too well.  So the argument above is
very, very weak.

OTOH I do not care that much what an installer happens to dump
here on my disk.  There are things like editors.  Changing labels
is also not a complicated operation.

> At one time, on one
> system, I was multibooting two RHEL betas, opensuse 10, sles10 and
> Fedora Core 6.

So?  Quite far from high installation numbers.  OTOH this is a
clearly a situation when identifying every file system by UUID
only makes for a big unreadable mess.

   Michal