Can't enable desktop effects in Fedora 9 Beta (GNOME)

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 04:27:12 UTC 2008

Scott (angrykeyboarder) wrote:
> Rodd Clarkson spake thusly:
>

>> Fedora (rightly) doesn't include the nvidia driver since it's licensing
>> doesn't allow it.
>
> And here I thought Debian was the most anal-retentive distro on the
> planet. ;)
>

> http://packages.debian.org/etch/nvidia-glx

Law-abiding vs anal-retentive.

>>  The best place to get nvidia is at
>> http://rpm.livna.org   I use livna for all me nvidia needs and compiz
>> works fine (along with suspend/resume).
>>
>> That said, with the switch to the new Xorg version, nvidia haven't get
>> around to supporting this version yet, so it's not going to work
>> regardless.
>

> Ubuntu's development distro (8.04) is using xorg 7.3.3 (as is Fedora 9)
> and the nVidia drivers (which are in their non-free repo) work just fine
> (as does Compiz).
>
> Now if they could get sound to work as it does in Fedora 9 (I'm an OS
> junkie)..

Yeah I'm quite happy with how pulseaudio is working in F9 now too.

> But I digress....
>
> I was under the impression that Compiz was supposed to work with non-
> propitiatory 3D-drivers (although I've yet to see that).

Not with the Xserver 1.5 which is in F9 as 1.4.99.xx and has a changed ABI that
the proprietary drivers have yet to update for.  I used compiz-fusion from the
repo I'm mirroring (url in sig) in F8 and it works very nicely with both ATI and
nVidia's drivers.

  gpg 0x8300BF29 fingerprint 071D FFE0 4CBC 13FC 7DEB  5BD5 5F89 8E1B 8300 BF29
  revoked key 0xC99B1DF3 no longer used