Rawhide First Impressions

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 15:48:36 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-31 at 00:44 +0200, Martin Sourada wrote:
>  * Video output (intel GMA 950) sucks. xv in mplayer does not work at
> all, so I had to resort to x11 (does it know how to zoom videos??) and
> gl2 (which is usable only for small videos, for big it's dreadfully
> slow). Just for record this is the error:
> X11 error: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)0.8% 0 0
> dunno if it's mplayer's fault or not

This is one of the worst things with Rawhide, so I decided to help with
solving this one first. I did some more testing on this case and it
seems that neither totem (using gstreamer backend) nor gxine (uses xv as
default video output) is unable to play videos. With mplayer I
investigated the working and not working (but that are supposed to work
and worked in F8) video outputs and here's the results:

xv: shows errors (the one in the above message), plays in correct speed,
video black

x11: works OK, don't know how to make it zoom to fit whole screen in
full-screen mode, but that is not a bug...

sdl: works OK, but there is always cursor present in the full-screen
mode which does not move and does not fade

gl: dreadfully slow, before starting print these errors:
Failed to initialize TTM buffer manager.  Falling back to classic.
do_wait: drmWaitVBlank returned -1, IRQs don't seem to be working
correctly.
Try running with LIBGL_THROTTLE_REFRESH and LIBL_SYNC_REFRESH unset.

gl2: works OK, though a little slow (usable for normal videos, but for
e.g. 720p it's unusable, so I have to use x11 for these cases)

Some of the specs:
Intel GMA 950 (using intel driver, in system-config-display the card is
shown as Unknown video card)
xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.4.99.901-13.20080314.fc9.i386
xorg-x11-drv-i810-2.2.1-15.fc9.i386

Hope this helps. I'd fill (or add my comments to) a bug, but I am not
sure about the component to fill it against.

Thanks,
Martin