No audio in GDM -- A severe a11y problem

William Jon McCann mccann at jhu.edu
Thu Apr 3 18:12:27 UTC 2008

Hi Janina,

As you may or may not know, we have completely rewritten GDM between
F8 and F9.  I hope that you'll be happy to know that full a11y support
is one of the principle requirements for this rewrite.

We are working to integrate a11y tools directly into the greeter in a
way that they haven't been before.  I think you can already see some
results from this work, such as providing access to an a11y tools
dialog by default.

That said, the GDM developers are not a11y experts.  So, we'd really
appreciate input from you and other experts in this field.  It would
be great to have a discussion around this on the upstream GDM mailing
list.

I'll try address some of your specific concerns.

At the moment, we don't support the SoundOnLogin configuration option.
 However, gnome-session does play a sound when it starts and GDM does
beep when authentication fails.

We do enable the sound service in the greeter by default.  One of the
principle reasons for this is to enable a11y features.

There seem to be a number of bugs in orca and the festival speech
synthesis engine that are causing some problems when trying to run the
screen reader in the GDM greeter.  I have personally been spending
quite a bit of time trying to track these down.  Unfortunately, our
a11y stack isn't the easiest thing to work with.  Some of these are
fixed in rawhide since the beta and still others have yet to be fixed.

We've been working really hard to make sure that Fedora is (by
default) an a11y friendly OS but we can really use your help to make
sure we achieve that goal.

I highly encourage you to engage the upstream GDM list and help us
design the best way to integrate a11y into the greeter.

Thanks,
Jon