F9-Beta install from local harddisk - broken?

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Fri Apr 4 18:38:45 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 14:01 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> To be fair, I'd like to point out that F9-Beta is not ready for testing yet,
> and therefore I won't spend/waste time trying it out, and not the weekly
> snapshots either. Not only did I need several attempts to install it (e.g.
> Anaconda crashes in GRUB device dialog), it still feels like a snail at
> run-time compared with F8. This is a no-go. And while I would wrestle with
> F9-Beta or Rawhide, the endless flood of F8 Updates would break F8 even further.

And yet we've had very successful results out of our Beta testers,
finding and helping us fix bugs, verifying previous things broken were
actually fixed, testing out new features and filing bugs etc, etc...

If your idea is that software has to be done before you can test it, I
don't see how you can ever test it.

As for slow, we have all sorts of debugging turned on all over the place
so that when things to crash we have enough breadcrumbs to figure out
what went wrong and fix it.  Those will be removed over the next week or
so, which will make it harder to get anything useful out of any bugs you
find afterward.

And we're sorry you had a grub bug, which may be a real bug, but it's by
far not the common case and thus it didn't get any testing until you
tried it.  It likely would still be broken in the final release if you
didn't try it (not that I'm claiming it will be fixed, this may be one
of those "don't do that" issues, but at least we'll know about it and
can document it due to your testing).

--
Jesse Keating